Progress Virginia is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, persons with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQI+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
About Progress Virginia:
At Progress Virginia (PV) and Progress Virginia Education Fund (PVEF), we drive powerful, values-based narratives to uplift and amplify grassroots voices through innovative digital communications and earned media strategies. We build progressive power alongside marginalized communities to tear down systems of white supremacy, advocate for equitable policies, and ensure leaders reflect the communities they serve. We strive to be anti-racist in all that we do. We are committed to dismantling white supremacy and interrogating our work to ensure we are actively working toward racial equity, and all of our programs are tied to specific racial equity goals both internally and externally.
PV is the Commonwealth’s progressive communications and digital hub. You can learn more about our work at www.progressva.org. PV is the state affiliate of ProgressNow, a national network of state-based progressive communications hubs. ProgressNow supports state partners by offering management, strategic advice and resources to meet advocacy and
organizational goals. Learn more about ProgressNow here: https://progressnow.org/about/
- Drive PV’s communications and digital work through strategic messaging and digital campaigns
- Create values-forward messaging and communications that center the voices of impacted communities and ensure PV and its allies are using it
- Develop communications and digital department goals and an online engagement strategy that helps to grow our organization, our fundraising, and fuels campaign victories. You’ll be working collaboratively with the Executive Director, Deputy Director, and staff.
- Create (ideate, plan, design, and execute) online advertising campaigns to diverse audiences (including communities comprising people of color, those who identify as LGBTQ, millennials, and women). Some graphic design and video editing experience is required.
- Mentor and manage our communications and digital teams and collaborate with staff to achieve wins.
- Supervise the staff that manages our online presence, including social media, campaign-specific microsites, and our main site, and our blog.
- Supervise communications team responsible for earned media and coalition management
- Oversee our editorial calendar and email list to ensure that engaging, readable, high-quality content is produced as needed across our digital platforms.
- Promote a culture of testing and learning across the organization, track and assess our progress through online metrics, and adapt our approach as needed.
- Serve as a communications and digital expert and point of contact to some of our local and national progressive partners.
- Ensure PV effectively engages in coalitions to support and execute compelling communications strategies
- Cultivation and stewardship of individual small dollar donors online across all platforms to support PV/PVEF’s work
- Be proactive in identifying prospective small dollar fundraising opportunities
- Maintain our culture of innovation and experimentation to take big swings in advancing the organization’s work and testing new approaches
- Maintain relationships with coalition partners
Who You Are:
- A compelling leader with a strong vision for a progressive and equitable Virginia
- Committed to progressive values and anti-racist work
- An experienced digital and communications strategist who can deconstruct complex challenges to identify a path forward
- A strong communicator with excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Comfortable in front of a camera for media interviews, in front of a room to lead a presentation or training, or pitching potential donors at a networking event
- Audacious and willing to push the envelope to take risks with new ideas and challenge the status quo
- A demonstrated record of successfully managing high-performing teams in a remote or virtual environment.
- Experience in labor, issue, political, or community organizing and campaign communications.
- A valid driver’s license, access to a vehicle, and willingness to travel to key locations around the state as needed.
- Strong people skills, ability to exercise good judgment, and extreme discretion are a must.
- Experience working with Peoria profiles, or other values-based digital targeting strategies
- A strong record of collaboration and relationship building
- Some online fundraising experience preferred (2 years or more)
- Must be fully vaccinated
Salary and Benefits:
Because negotiating is inherently inequitable, we want to be transparent about what benefits we can offer up front and avoid negotiation.
The salary for this position is $57,000 per year. Progress Virginia staff members get two weeks of vacation every year, plus the week between Christmas and the New Year, an additional 9 paid holidays throughout the year, and paid sick days. We also provide health and vision insurance benefits.
All Progress Virginia employees develop a customized professional development plan to support learning and growth in their position. Employees can also work with their supervisor to create a flexible work schedule, especially while people are juggling childcare and work during the pandemic.
Progress Virginia operates a virtual office. Candidates should expect to work from home anywhere in Virginia or Washington, DC, with occasional travel, sometimes on short notice.
Fill out this application. Part of the application will ask you to upload your resume. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so please apply as soon as possible. If we find your skills match those of the position, we will contact you for an interview. If you have any questions about the position, you can email email@example.com. No phone calls please.