About Progress Virginia:
Progress Virginia is a multi-issue progressive advocacy organization that combines cutting edge online organizing and communications with rapid and hard-hitting earned media strategies. As Virginia’s progressive communications and digital hub, we work all year round to engage citizens from across the Commonwealth around issues of immediate state or local concern. Our mission is to provide a strong, credible voice in advancing progressive solutions to critical community problems. But we don’t do that on our own—we work as a communications team for the entire progressive community and work closely with our partners to spread our message and work towards progressive victories. We strive to be anti-racist in all that we do. We are committed to dismantling white supremacy and interrogating our work to ensure we are actively working toward racial equity, and all of our programs are tied to specific racial equity goals both internally and externally.
Who You Are:
- Committed to progressive values and committed to anti-racist work
- Creative, flexible, and willing to experiment and take risks
- Self-motivated and disciplined with the ability to own the work and drive it forward with minimal supervision while working from home most of the time
- Excited about working to win progressive victories both electorally and policy-wise in Virginia
- Interested in creating and implementing innovative communications strategies, building relationships with reporters, allied organizations, and community-members, and dismantling white supremacy in our culture
What You’ll Do:
- Develop and execute creative communications strategies in partnership with the Communications Director on a variety of topics including (but not limited to) abortion access, voting rights, economic justice, health care, climate equity, immigrant justice, gun violence prevention, racial justice, and ethics and transparency in government.
- Work will include creating and implementing communications plans, writing press releases, blog posts, messaging guidance, and other written materials to generate earned media coverage
- Plan and execute earned media events
Execute rapid response strategies on key issues
- Monitor social media channels for disinformation and determine with Communications Director what strategies to use to counter it
- Support and grow Progress Virginia’s relationships with reporters and media outlets, allied organizations, community members, and other allies
- Lead our signature trainings for partner organizations on communications topics including storytelling for advocacy, narrative development, and message research and guidance
- Maintain our storybank and recruit new storytellers to share their personal experiences on the issues on which we work
- Proactively monitor media and maintain press lists
- Research as assigned
- Travel around the commonwealth, as needed, and occasionally outside of Virginia
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Must be able to craft compelling written materials that mobilize our target audiences to action.
- Must be able to work within our messaging framework, with tone and content tailored appropriately for different contexts and audiences.
- Experience creating and driving compelling offline content
- Willingness to build lasting relationships with colleagues, reporters, coalition partners, and storytellers
- Ability to move quickly and respond in a rapidly changing media environment
- A strong sense for identifying and capitalizing on emerging stories
- Comfort working in a fast-paced environment with multiple projects, sudden deadlines, and curveballs
- Comfort and ability to work remotely and to set and meet deadlines
- Access to a car and a valid driver’s license
(These are not required, so if you do not meet these qualifications, please do not let that stop you from applying for the job!)
- Experience working in Virginia
- Experience in progressive nonprofits or political campaigns
- Experience with Meltwater, Action Kit, Google Drive, and WordPress
- Experience working in a virtual office long-term
Salary and Benefits:
Because negotiating is inherently inequitable, we want to be transparent about what benefits we can offer up front and avoid negotiation.
The salary for this position is $48,000. Additionally, Progress Virginia staff members get two weeks of vacation every year, plus the week between Christmas and the New Year, an additional 9 paid holidays throughout the year, and paid sick days. We also provide health insurance benefits.
All Progress Virginia employees develop a customized professional development plan with their supervisor to support learning and growth in their position. Employees can also work with their supervisor to create a somewhat flexible work schedule, especially while people are juggling childcare and work during the pandemic.
Progress Virginia operates a virtual office. Candidates should expect to work from home anywhere in Virginia or Washington, DC, with occasional travel, sometimes on short notice. However, all travel and in-person work is suspended at the moment due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and it is unclear when travel will resume. This position reports to Progress Virginia’s Communications Director.
Fill out this application. Part of the application will ask you to upload your resume and a recent writing sample. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so please apply as soon as possible. If we find your skills match those of the position, we will contact you for an interview. If you have any questions about the position, you can email email@example.com. No phone calls please.
Progress Virginia is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, persons with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.