Are you a super motivated, progressive individual who is motivated to shake things up and get people energized around progressive issues in Virginia this summer?
Would you like to spend the summer as part of a team to make change actually happen in your community?
If the answer is “YES!!!” then join Progress Virginia’s 2018 Summer Organizer program. You’ll team up with two other fellow organizers to work in the Richmond orHampton Roads area to engage and inspire activists and the public on fighting for healthcare (including access to birth control) and beating back the Trump Tax plan.
This job is perfect for recent college grads transitioning into the workforce, and for ANYONE who cares passionately about politics and social, economic, and racial justice in our communities.
What’ll you’ll get:
- You’ll get a full-time gig with competitive pay (ends on August 1, 2018).
- You’ll get to work with our experienced team to design a robust field plan as a road map to get you started.
- You’ll get super valuable work experience, including community organizing, planning events, and communicating across a spectrum of individuals, activists, and community groups.
- You’ll also get to work remotely—there’s no office to report to and, as long as you have a licence, a car, and are in the Richmond or Hampton Roads area, you can work where you want.
- You’ll get the satisfaction of knowing that you’re part of an awesome team of people committed to progressive values.
What you’ll give:
- Passion, commitment, and a strong work ethic.
- Your willingness to learn about healthcare, birth control, and economic justice issues in Virginia.
- A super team-oriented and positive attitude to do what it takes to inspire and engage people.
What you’ll do:
- Find and forge strong relationships with other activists by holding one-on-one meetings, house visits and conducting other methods of grassroots outreach.
- Maintain constant and structured communication with activists you engage with.
- Recruit members of the public and activists to attend community events designed to hold our public officials accountable and get media attention (earned media).
- Execute the mobilization strategy in your field plan.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Experience with grassroots organizing, or strong, demonstrated commitment to learning how to organize
- Ability to work from home and be disciplined enough to get things done on a tight deadline
- You must be based in Richmond or Hampton Roads and possess a driver’s license with access to a car
- Motivated self-starter who sees that something needs to be done and takes it on in order to meet deadlines and manage everything on your plate well.
- Team player willing to work well with everyone—from your fellow organizers, to activists, to fellow staffers—and do what it takes to get the job done.
- A demonstrated commitment to progressive values and underserved communities, especially around the issues of healthcare, birth control, and economic justice.
When you’ll start:
- Now. This position ends on August 1.
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org that includes a cover letter explaining why you’re interested, qualified, and committed to being our summer organizer; and a resume. We’re reviewing applications on a rolling basis so apply today!
ABOUT PROGRESS VIRGINIA
Progress Virginia s a multi-issue progressive advocacy organization that combines cutting edge online organizing and communications with rapid and hard-hitting earned media strategies. As Virginia’s leading progressive communications shop, we work all year round to engage citizens from across the Commonwealth around issues of immediate state or local concern. Our mission is to provide a strong, credible voice in advancing progressive solutions to critical community problems. But we don’t do that on our own–work as a communications team for the entire progressive community and work closely with our partners to spread our message and work towards progressive victories.