Progress Virginia and our sister organization, Progress Virginia Education Fund, are looking for a communications associate and Spanish language media specialist to join our team. The associate will build relationships with Spanish-language media, work with the Executive Director and allies to execute earned media campaigns, track media, and provide communications training and advice to partners. The person we’re looking for will have excellent oral and written communications skills in English and Spanish, is out-going and creative, and has the ability to handle multiple fast-moving projects.
Progress Virginia is a multi-issue progressive advocacy organization that combines cutting edge online organizing and communications with rapid and hard-hitting earned media strategies. We provide a strong, credible voice for advancing progressive values and solutions to critical community problems. But we don’t do that on our own–we work as a communications team for the entire progressive community.
What you’ll do:
- Establish and grow Progress Virginia’s relationship with and presence in Spanish language media outlets
- Develop and execute creative communications strategies in both English and Spanish, including managing the organization’s economic justice portfolio and assisting with communications work on additional issue areas. Work will include writing press releases and blog posts, pitching stories, maintaining media databases, and cultivating media contacts
- Serve as a communications advisor to Progress Virginia’s allies and partners
- Create and respond to earned media opportunities
- Execute rapid response strategies on key issues
- Track media coverage
- Research as assigned
- Travel around the commonwealth, as needed
What we’re looking for:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in both English and Spanish
- Commitment to progressive values and policies
- Passion for politics and social change
- A strong sense for identifying and capitalizing on emerging stories
- A creative mind, flexibility, and a sense of humor
- Comfort working in a fast-paced environment with multiple projects, sudden deadlines, and curveballs
- Comfort and ability to work remotely and to set and meet deadlines
- Experience creating and driving compelling online content
Location: Progress Virginia operates a virtual office. Candidates should expect to work from home in Northern Virginia or Richmond with occasional travel (sometimes on short notice).
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience.
Email a resume, cover letter, writing sample (in English or Spanish), and salary requirements to email@example.com If we find your skills match those of the position, we will contact you for an interview. Progress Virginia is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, persons with disabilities, veterans, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.