Progress Virginia is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, persons with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
About Progress Virginia:
At Progress Virginia, we drive powerful, values-based narratives to uplift and amplify grassroots voices through innovative digital communications and earned media strategies. We build progressive power alongside marginalized communities to tear down systems of white supremacy, advocate for equitable policies, and ensure leaders reflect the communities they serve. We strive to be anti-racist in all that we do. We are committed to dismantling white supremacy and interrogating our work to ensure we are actively working toward racial equity, and all of our programs are tied to specific racial equity goals both internally and externally.
Who You Are:
- Committed to progressive values and committed to anti-racist work
- Creative, flexible, and willing to experiment and take risks
- Self-motivated and disciplined with the ability to own the work and drive it forward with minimal supervision while working from home most of the time
- Excited about working to win, promote, and take credit for progressive electoral and policy victories to our online audiences in Virginia
- Interested in creating and implementing innovative digital content and strategies, growing our existing relationships with our online social media audiences across platforms, and dismantling white supremacy in our culture.
What You’ll Do:
Develop digital content and execute creative digital strategies: Work in partnership with the Director Director to foster social engagement online across all of Progress Virginia’s platforms.
- Content and engagement will be on a variety of topics including (but not limited to) abortion access, voting rights, economic justice, health care, climate equity, immigrant justice, racial justice, and ethics and transparency in government
- Work will include creating and implementing plans for daily online engagement (creating, posting, replying, etc. ) blog posts, online events, and other written materials to generate engagement
Driving Social Media Engagement: Own all social media engagement and be Progress Virginia’s in house influencer. Work will include creating and implementing plans for daily online engagement (creating, posting, replying, etc. ) blog posts, online events, and other written materials to generate engagement
- Ensure we have appropriate and quick feedback online to our audience, partners, and stakeholders
- Ensure all content is posted in a timely manner and stay on top of rapid response online, across platforms
- Create digital content including meme, GIFs, and possess the visual sensibility and ability to do short videos for social (like Reels)
- Be the public face of Progress Virginia online; become Progress Virginia’s in house influencer
Creating and Executing Online Events: Manage and implement social media editorial calendar
- Social media events: Twitter storms, Twitter town hall, virtual protests, Facebook lives, Instagram lives
Reports and Tracking: Gather, share, track, and secure the engagement data needed to measure success.
- Ensure that all staff have social media support and data they need for their areas of work
- Spot opportunities to better track and maintain information
- Follow new accounts, start discussions, comment on current events
Graphic Design: Create, edit, conceptualize, and post graphics needed to expand our social media presence, reach, and engagement.
- Design graphics and videos specifically for social media
- Strengthen our visual brand by creating cohesion on our feeds and content
Events and special projects: Own and help on other events and projects as needed.
- Strong social justice values
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Must be able to craft compelling written materials that mobilize our target audiences to action.
- Must be able to work within our messaging framework, with tone and content tailored appropriately for different contexts, platforms, and audiences.
- Social media mastery and experience managing social media accounts that are not your own
- Experience creating and driving compelling online content. An artistic, visual, and technical eye for content that works best for social media.
- Willingness to build lasting relationships with colleagues, reporters, coalition partners, and storytellers
- Ability to move quickly and respond in a rapidly changing media environment
- A strong sense for identifying and capitalizing on emerging stories
- Comfort working in a fast-paced environment with multiple projects, sudden deadlines, and curveballs
- Some proficiency in photoshop, Sketch, Illustrator, Affinity designer, or an equivalent graphic design software
- Creativity and a strong sense of cultural competency
- Comfort and ability to work remotely and to set and meet deadlines
- Access to a car and a valid driver’s license
(These are not required, so if you do not meet these qualifications, please do not let that stop you from applying for the job!)
- Experience creating art, motion graphics, high production videos, and graphic design
- Knowledge of HTML, WordPress and or Drupal
- Experience working in Virginia
- Experience in progressive nonprofits, legislatures, or political campaigns
- Prior knowledge of or experience in Virginia politics and policy
- Experience in political and policy research
- Experience with Meltwater, Action Kit, Google Drive, and WordPress
- Experience working in a virtual office long-term
Salary and Benefits:
Because negotiating is inherently inequitable, we want to be transparent about what benefits we can offer up front and avoid negotiation.
The salary for this position is $45,000. Additionally, Progress Virginia staff members get two weeks of vacation every year, plus the week between Christmas and the New Year, an additional 9 paid holidays throughout the year, and paid sick days. We also provide health insurance benefits.
All Progress Virginia employees develop a customized professional development plan with their supervisor to support learning and growth in their position. Employees can also work with their supervisor to create a somewhat flexible work schedule, especially while people are juggling childcare and work during the pandemic.
Progress Virginia operates a virtual office. Candidates should expect to work from home anywhere in Virginia or Washington, DC, with occasional travel, sometimes on short notice. However, all travel and in-person work is suspended at the moment due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and it is unclear when travel will resume. This position reports to Progress Virginia’s Digital Director.
Fill out this application. Part of the application will ask you to upload your resume. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so please apply as soon as possible. If we find your skills match those of the position, we will contact you for an interview. If you have any questions about the position, you can email email@example.com. No phone calls please.