Progress Virginia is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, persons with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
About Progress Virginia:
At Progress Virginia, we drive powerful, values-based narratives to uplift and amplify grassroots voices through innovative digital communications and earned media strategies. We build progressive power alongside marginalized communities to tear down systems of white supremacy, advocate for equitable policies, and ensure leaders reflect the communities they serve. We strive to be anti-racist in all that we do. We are committed to dismantling white supremacy and interrogating our work to ensure we are actively working toward racial equity, and all of our programs are tied to specific racial equity goals both internally and externally.
Who You Are:
- Committed to progressive values and committed to anti-racist work
- Creative, flexible, and willing to experiment and take risks
- Self-motivated and disciplined with the ability to own the work and drive it forward with minimal supervision while working from home most of the time
- Excited about working to win, promote, and take credit for progressive electoral and policy victories to our online audiences in Virginia
- Interested in creating and implementing innovative digital content and strategies, growing our existing relationships with our online social media audiences across platforms, and dismantling white supremacy in our culture.
What You’ll Do:
Develop digital content and execute creative digital advertising campaigns: Work to create digital advertising campaigns that align with Progress Virginia’s messaging and rapid response for use on social and programmatic.
- Content and engagement will be on a variety of topics including (but not limited to) abortion access, voting rights, economic justice, health care, climate equity, immigrant justice, racial justice, climate equity, criminal justice reform, and ethics and transparency in government
- Work will include creating and implementing plans for digital advertising campaigns (creating copy, making creative, launching campaigns, etc. )
- Manage partner digital campaigns and coordinate with digital vendors. Write proposals, budgets, and strategy for partner digital campaigns.
- Maintain and update landing pages(s) using ActionKit CRM, posting new content as needed and setting up new microsites using simple templates
- Provide technical/best practices support to staff and partners for digital advertising campaigns and message testing using the Grow Progress platform.
Reports and Tracking: Gather, share, track, and secure the engagement data needed to measure success.
- Ensure that all partners and staff have reporting and data they need for their areas of work.
- Spot opportunities to better track and maintain information.
Graphic Design: Create, edit, and conceptualize graphics needed for digital advertising campaigns
- Design graphics and videos specifically for digital advertising
Events and special projects: Own and help on other events and projects as needed.
- Digital advertising experience: creating, targeting, and running campaigns on social, programmatic, and or search.
- Some proficiency making creative for digital advertising in Photoshop, Sketch, Illustrator, Affinity designer, or an equivalent graphic design software.
- General knowledge of how to use VAN including: list segmentation, how to pull lists, how to narrow lists, etc.
- Experience running and reporting on analytics for digital advertising campaigns
- Strong social justice values
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Must be able to craft compelling written materials that mobilize our target audiences to action.
- Must be able to work within our messaging framework, with tone and content tailored appropriately for different contexts, platforms, and audiences.
- Experience creating and driving compelling online content. An artistic, visual, and technical eye for content that works best for social media.
- Ability to move quickly and respond in a rapidly changing media environment
- A strong sense for identifying and capitalizing on emerging stories
- Comfort working in a fast-paced environment with multiple projects, sudden deadlines, and curveballs
- Creativity and a strong sense of cultural competency
- Comfort and ability to work remotely and to set and meet deadlines
- Access to a car and a valid driver’s license
(These are not required, so if you do not meet these qualifications, please do not let that stop you from applying for the job!)
- Experience creating art, motion graphics, high production videos, and graphic design
- Knowledge of HTML, WordPress and/or Drupal
- Experience working in Virginia
- Experience in progressive nonprofits, legislatures, or political campaigns
- Prior knowledge of or experience in Virginia politics and policy
- Experience in political and policy research
- Experience with Meltwater, Action Kit, Google Drive, and WordPress
- Experience working in a virtual office long-term
Salary and Benefits:
Because negotiating is inherently inequitable, we want to be transparent about what benefits we can offer up front and avoid negotiation.
The salary for this position is $5000/month. This is a temporary, election cycle position with the possibility of extension to full-time. Progress Virginia’s primary office hours are Monday through Friday, 9am-5pm ET.
Progress Virginia operates a virtual office. Candidates should expect to work from home anywhere in Virginia or Washington, DC, with occasional travel, sometimes on short notice. The position will run from August 15 to November 15 with the possibility of extension. The person who fills this position is expected to have their own computer with steady internet access.
Fill out this application. Part of the application will ask you to upload your resume. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so please apply as soon as possible. If we find your skills match those of the position, we will contact you for an interview. If you have any questions about the position, you can email email@example.com. No phone calls please.