Y’all. 2020 is OVER. THANK GOODNESS. It was rough, but by golly, we made it through. We lost so much last year that I can’t even begin to process it all. Instead of reliving all the horrors that were this dumpster fire of a year, let’s celebrate three wins we had last year and three exciting things we have to look forward to in 2021. Leggo!
- 2020 was the year that we passed a record number of progressive bills in the Virginia legislature. Three cheers for a progressive trifecta in the state of Virginia! And guys, we needed those early wins last January because we had NO IDEA what was coming for us shortly after that. During the 2020 session we passed clean energy and environmental justic legislation, eliminated many barriers to abortion access, raised the minimum wage, established the first comprehensive nondiscrimination policy in the South, expanded voting rights, and gave immigrants more rights with driving privilege cards and in-state tuition. Then we added some criminal justice reform to the mix during special session. When I look back on 2020, I definitely won’t forget how much progress we made in the Commonwealth.
- Oh by gosh, by golly, we finally got rid of Donald Trump in 2020. Virginia did not disappoint, going all in on the President-elect and his kicka** veep, Auntie Kamala. Thank you to all those who voted and all the ancestors who have been waiting for this moment for generations. This moment could not have happened without the progressive activists and advocates on the ground making it happen. All of us are better off because we fought for a community that belongs to all of us.
- After 400 years of waiting, America finally wanted to talk about us Black folks. America has finally decided to put race front and center. The violent deaths of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, and Breonna Taylor sparked a conversation in white spaces that we’ve been having all our lives and then some. But now that y’all want to talk about, what are you going to do about it?
- We have dope women of color running up and down the November ballot in 2021. Call this biased if you want, but I’m so excited to see some strong women of color energy on up and down the ballot in Virginia. It’s all about representation, representation, representation! Seeing candidates and elected officials that look like me is a game-changer and I’m here for it! Let’s all wish these women well on their quest and cross our fingers that one of them makes history.
- The COVID-19 vaccine will be available over the hills and everywhere! It’s weird to think that the pandemic and the vaccine both became a thing in the same year. Yet, here we are, December 2020, rolling out the vaccine to as many people as we can, and sending up prayers to all the angels that this pandemic will soon be over. By all accounts, the vaccine will spread far and wide through our country next year. In the meantime, let’s get excited about life eventually returning to normal.
- The BIPOC powers are increasing with an extremely diverse cabinet, better voting districts, and more progressive bills becoming law under progressive control.No I don’t mean the so-called super powers on December 21st, I mean real power. It’s raining progress y’all. Between our new President Biden picking a rainbow coalition cabinet and more people of color voting, registering to vote and taking back our power at the ballot box, our day as people of color is finally here. We are making serious moves both out front and behind the scenes. Our power is growing and we have the legislation to prove it. Ask about us 😉.