What we’re offering: ProgressVA’s legislative interns will play a crucial role in our General Assembly program by monitoring legislation and helping inform the public of prospective policy changes. Interns may be asked to assist with additional programs as time permits. Legislative intern responsibilities will include:
- Attending legislative hearings at the General Assembly
- Writing blog posts and talking points
- Tracking legislation
- Researching policy proposals and public opinion
- Assisting with earned media events and communications campaigns
- Writing press materials, including letters to the editor, op-eds, and press releases
- Other duties as assigned
We want you if you are:
- Organized and detail-oriented
- Innovative, creative, and ready to learn from failure (failure is part of the work: embrace it, learn from it, and move on)
- A motivated self-starter with a strong work ethic
- A strong writer and researcher
- Knowledgeable of, and interested in, state and national politics
- Committed to advancing progressive policy and values
- Flexible to work on new projects as needed
- Able to work a minimum of 8 hours/week
- Able to spend 1 morning or afternoon/week at the General Assembly (Friday afternoons don’t count.)
When/Where/Who: Interns will be required to attend legislative hearings at the State Capitol in Richmond, VA on an on-going basis. ProgressVA operates a virtual office and when not at the General Assembly, interns will be expected to execute writing and research projects on their own.
Interns will work closely with the Executive Director and Director of Online Programs as well as have the opportunity to interact with our progressive partners.
Internships (and the General Assembly session) run from January – March.
Still Interested? Here’s how to apply:
Send your resume and cover letter to Anna Scholl at email@example.com
ProgressVA is a multi-issue progressive advocacy organization that combines cutting edge online organizing and communications with rapid and hard-hitting earned media strategies. Year round, ProgressVA works to engage citizens from across the Commonwealth around issues of immediate state or local concern.
Our mission is to provide a strong, credible voice in advancing progressive solutions to critical community problems. But we don’t do that on our own—we work as a communications team for the entire progressive community.
We’re a marketing department for progressive ideas—a campaign that never stops. We work year-round to challenge conservative propaganda in the media and make sure that progressive perspectives are heard.