At Progress Virginia, we drive powerful, values-based narratives to uplift and amplify grassroots voices through innovative digital communications and earned media strategies. We build progressive power alongside marginalized communities to tear down systems of white supremacy, advocate for equitable policies, and ensure leaders reflect the communities they serve.
We’re a marketing department for progressive ideas—a campaign that never stops. We work year-round to challenge conservative propaganda in the media and make sure that progressive perspectives are heard.
2021 Progress Virginia Research Interns
Are you passionate about social justice, research, and writing, and are you comfortable in the digital world? We need you!
Progress Virginia is hiring a four-month research intern to join our team.
What we’re offering: An opportunity to join our hardworking team. The researchers chosen for this position will work directly with the Executive Director and Digital Director to conduct research around the 2021 election in Virginia and assist with content management.
Compensation: Interns will be paid $15 per hour.
THE PROJECT: With so many decisions to make on down-ballot contests and the rise of disinformation, trusted guidance can be hard for voters to find. This is particularly true for down-ballot races such as municipal candidates, sheriffs, and commonwealth attorneys. Progress Virginia creates a unique Voter Guide for Virginia voters that aggregates recommendations from the progressive community, and works with partners to get this mobile-friendly guide to as many voters as possible.
Interns will be responsible for:
- Researching candidate information for 2021 local and state elections in Virginia
- Tracking votes on past legislation of incumbent candidates to include in research
- Writing and organizing content about local and state candidates for a voters’ guide
- Compile partner organization endorsements, as assigned
- Assist with site content population
- Other duties as assigned
We want you if you are:
- A strong writer and researcher with meticulous editing and proofreading skills
- A creative self-starter who is comfortable with both taking the initiative and working in collaboration.
- Detail-oriented with strong written and verbal communication skills
- able to thrive working independently and on a deadline
- Interested in progressive politics and being part of the process
- Tech-savvy and skilled with search engines, social media platforms, Microsoft Office, Google docs, spreadsheets, and navigating the Internet.
The Research Internship program will run from June 23 to September 15. This is a 100% remote position. Interns are expected to work 10- 20 hours per week and have their own computer with steady internet access. This is a temporary, part-time non-exempt position. Progress Virginia’s primary office hours are Monday through Friday, 9am-5pm ET so a few hours would ideally be worked within that time frame to accommodate check-ins with supervisors, but the remaining hours can occur on evenings and weekends.
Interested? Here’s how to apply:
Please send your resume, writing sample and cover letter, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Progress Virginia is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, persons with disabilities, veterans, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: June 14, 2021